Granola is food. As far as I am concerned anything with proteins and carbs that is EASY to eat in many different ways is PERFECT.
It also makes me feel all glowey inside when I make a big batch of ANYTHING. Like I've turned into some kind of survivalist.
So here is what you can do to feel like a glowing bass-ass survivalist:
In one bowl :
- Three cups of grains (I use mostly rolled oats and a bit of uncooked quinoa).
- One to one and a half cups of nuts. I find a combo of pecans and almonds pretty dope as long as I chop them up super fine.
- One teaspoon of salt - I like bigger crystals so it crunches.
- One to two cups of seeds (I favor raw pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds).
- One cup of shredded coconut. Yum.
- Two teaspoons of spices. I am currently using cinnamon and ginger and nutmeg. Explore!
Mix these all up together. Then add,
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of oil (olive or canola works well)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of sweetener (I use maple syrup)
- Optional - One egg white, whisked until foamy before adding. This makes those clusters that I love.
Mix it all up – spread on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet (for easy clean up) – bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes (stir mid way if you don't want clumps).
It will NOT be hard when you pull it out of the oven. It hardens as it cools. Let it cool all the way. Then add some chopped up dried fruits. About of cup of cranberries, chopped figs and raisins does the trick quite well.
I double the batch and share some with this chick.